What functionality does RFID offer?
The functionality of RFID depends on the technology used and influences the price of a complete system. It is therefore important to determine the necessary or sensible technology for a specific task from the outset in order to achieve an optimum price-performance ratio.
- Read only: for access, simple time recording.
- Read/write: for payment services, product tracking, complex registration and access solutions with temporary space/time profiles, integration of offline fittings in online access control, or storage of biometric templates (fingerprint/hand vein).
- Important when using several cards simultaneously in the receiving field (bulk detection).
- Ensures, e.g. with fingerprint, that the card cannot be used by another person.
Chip card operating system
- Necessary for complex, demanding applications.
- Prevents unauthorized reading of the card content, for higher security e.g. credit cards, canteen billing, but also access to critical areas.